R
O
A
D
A
B
L
E



T
I
M
E
S

.


C
O
M




Hiller Advanced Research


HillerPlatform

The
Hiller Flying
Platform



The Hiller platform used a five foot fiberglass ducted fan with twin counter-rotating coaxial propellers. The propellors were powered by two 44 horsepower two-cycle, engines. The design made use of the Bernoulli principle to generate 40% of the vehicle's lift from the air moving over the ducted fan's leading edge. The remaining 60% of lift was generated by thrust from the propellers. The original concept & prototypes were developed by Hiller Advanced Research from the work of engineer Charles H. Zimmerman of the National Advisory Committee for Aeronautics (N.A.C.A.). The machine was patented in 1960.


Seven prototypes of this machine were built. The Arizona Aerospace Foundation has one of these in their museum, and a picture of this bird can be seen at -

fusionanomaly.net/hillerflyingplatform.html

The Hiller VZ-1 "Pawnee" of 1955 is shown at avia.russian.ee/vertigo/hiller_platform-r.html

A brief history of the work of Stanley Hiller may be found at www.scalehelis.com/hiller/hiller.html



HillerFlyingSedan

The Hiller
Aerial Sedan




The Hiller organization received a lot of favourable press in the late 1950's, particularly from the technical magazines. This is the July 1957 front cover of one of the science magazines of the day.



"Roadable Times" Features and Departments

HOMEPAGE
RESOURCE CNTR
ALPHALIST
INTEGRATED
MODULARS
VTOLS
CARMOVIE
CHALLENGE